Sunday, September 11, 2011

a newfound hope




I'm sitting on the couch watching the 9/11 memorial on abc news. Watching the news segments from that unforgettable morning is like a time machine. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing the morning Americans came together and stood in shock. I had just woken up, and I was about to get ready for my second week of 8th grade. I could hear something going on in Mom's room and I went to find her and my dad watching the news. My mom told me what happened and I was glued to the tv. The second tower had not been hit yet, and in a few minutes...it happened. None of us really knew what to say. I remember thinking, "Is it safe to go to school?" I did end up going to school, and it was unlike other days. I remember academics was not exactly the highlight of discussion. So many things were on the minds of teachers and students. The news was on in my Language Arts class and my Science class. No one could learn that day. I could only think of getting back home to my family.

I don't really remember crying. I couldn't really handle the idea of the magnitude of what really happened. Fast forward 10 years later, I've seen some shows with stories of children and families who lost a loved one. I've rewatched videos documenting the horrific acts on the WTC towers feeling a pit in my stomach, thinking of the fear of the people in those planes. That is something I never thought of until recently. How scary it must have been for those people, not knowing of the what will happen...until it happened. I think about the people in the 2nd tower, seeing a plane coming towards them. For the survivors, they'll never forget the emotions of those moments.

None of us will ever forget the bravery of the every person involved. Despite the horror and the sadness America faced that day, people have found their way towards hope and a chance for new beginnings. Last Friday the school I work at held a moment of silence. I am so thankful to be at a place where I have the privilege to say the Pledge of Allegiance every day. It may sound cheesy, but it's a constant reminder of how lucky we are, as Americans, to live in this country founded upon Godly principles. Another thing I love is hearing the 2nd graders sing a patriotic song every morning. Their sweet, pure voices remind me everyday of the precious lives we're blessed with and our opportunities to make change for good of all people.

I am blessed to work with the children of America, and because of 9/11, I will always do my best to spread the hope of a new day in this blessed country to their hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment