Saturday, May 26, 2012

the "adult" in me

 Oh boy...today I made a pretty "adult" choice (if that even exists...) one that I would never have thought of doing a year or two ago. Perhaps it will make more sense if I simply explain what I've decided to do :)

Around two weeks ago I went shopping at Nordstrom's Rack and I found a pair of Joe's Jeans in petite sizes.  $79.99.  I was pretty excited because I'm 5'2 and I've always had to go through hemming jeans if they were regular length.  These jeans happened to be an almost perfect length.  I could have hemmed them up an inch if I wanted...but if I only wore heels with them, I wouldn't have to!  I hadn't purchased a pair of designer jeans since freshman year of college...so I thought I could splurge a bit.  At least I wasn't going to be paying the $172 price! I've already learned that paying that kind of price for jeans is absolutely nuts.  Since I've discovered Nordstrom's Rack, I could never understand paying more than $100 for jeans.  Even THAT sounds ridiculous.  



When I was a senior in high school, designer jeans were just becoming popular. I will admit I really wanted a pair.  Even thought I knew at that age the cost of those jeans were ridiculous, I was a kid and I wanted them regardless! For my birthday, my parents got me a pair of 7s at regular price.  My dad must have had a mini heart attack, poor guy.  To this day I still wear them.  In fact, I'm wearing them as I type! I don't think I'll ever want to get rid of them, mainly because of the price tag! 

Since I've bought those $79.99 Joe's Jeans at Nordstrom's Rack, I've tried them on at home with my shoes and I started having second thoughts.  Was $80 really worth it?  Yea...it's Joe's Jeans...but do I really care THAT much about the brand of my jeans? Meh..about 60% of me doesn't care.   Do these jeans fit SO amazing that I could never find another pair of jeans that fit the same, if not better, and cost less?  After some debating and online searching....my answer to that question was NO.  Of course I could find nice jeans with a more sensible price tag.  

So...today I took a trip to the Brea Mall and I went straight to American Eagle, where I saw some good looking jeans online.  They had "short" lengths in their jeans, which was extra nice too.  Walking into the store, I was already a happy camper because my ENTIRE purchase would be 40% off.  SCORE!  I found two pairs of jeans..ended up buying both...spent $50.  I think felt like those women on Extreme Couponing after they leave the store....maybe just a little bit :)  



2  pairs jeans for $50 vs. 1 pair jeans for $80?  I'm pretty sure I know which purchase wins in my book :)   Now it's time to return Joe's Jeans to Nordstrom's Rack!  

Driving home I was thinking how I would have NEVER reconsidered my Joe's Jeans purchase a few years ago...maybe even last year.  At that time, I didn't even have that thing called a job.  And when I did...I worked minimal hours and a minimal wage.  Oh the care-free life I lived.  I didn't think TOO much about what I was spending my money on in terms of where I ate, where I bought clothes, where I bought gas.  I wouldn't say this my life now is full of worries by any means...but I do ask myself more often, "Is this REALLY necessary?" or "Would I rather spend my dollars somewhere else?".  Clearly, the "kid" in me wanted to buy those Joes Jeans a few weeks ago (and I did!), but then the "adult" in me made me make the best choice.  I'm pretty sure in the long run, I'll be thankful for the "adult" in me to step in a take charge :)  




No comments:

Post a Comment